When I am thinking about Holland America I have a sweet and a sour feeling at the same time. Let me tell you about the plus and minus in my opinion.
First of all, I am 60 years old, younger than the average Holland America Cruiser.
Let me talk about the positive first:
- My wife and I went on the Zuiderdam for a 10-day cruise to the Panama Canal in February of 2009. We booked a nice suite with a wrap-around balcony and access
to the Neptune Lounge, which was a great experience. The best cabin we ever had with a huge balcony.
- Service was great.
- Food was great. The portions were slightly smaller than on other ships in my opinion, but that had the advantage that I did not gain any weight, although I usually double-up on the meat.
- Entertainment (shows) were good.
- Entertainment when it comes to the piano bar or the disco was not what I want. If you travel with Carnival, you sometimes have problems finding a seat in the piano bar. I walked on several
days into the piano bar - and could sit at the piano. This was 9:30 pm. When we went to the disco - empty. The complete opposite is the NCL Epic, where entertainment is everything.
- I was 59, when I came travelled on Holland America and I felt like a young chicken on board.
- The food is great, service also, and the suite was the best I have ever had. I love the neptunes lounge with 24 hour specialty coffees, chocolate, Concierge to book land excursions or dinner times, and great receptions with ship officers where good wines and food was served. For the 10-day cruise they also offered a special lunch with the officers and great food - and the Captain came to every passenger invited to this event.
- Entertainment is on the negative side. Who does not want to sit at the piano in the piano bar? I love too, but not if not even all seats at the piano are filled at 9:30 p.m. In the casino on the other hand all seats were taken.
- I will definately come back to Holland America, but not before I turn 70. If you are looking for a quiet ship and good food, but not loud entertainment and not many children, this might be the right cruise line for you. Call me for more information. Thanks.
You can reach Cruise Planner Christian Bellingrath at 813-992-0502 or by e-mail at
© 2010 - 2011 by Christian Bellingrath. All rights reserved